This morning I took my girls to the Lido for the sunrise swim. Both girls are great swimmers and love the Lido so that wasn’t a problem but the early start was more of an issue. How did I get around this? I mentioned that we could have one of the Lido’s great bacon butties after the swim and then they were well up for it and I had no problem getting them out of bed at some ridiculous time in the morning!! We even stopped to pick up one of their friends.
There’s certainly nothing wrong with having a Lido butty every now and again but if I ate these on a regular basis, I know I would start to feel it round my middle! Here are the girls enjoying their well-deserved butty after the sunrise swim.
But is there a tasty, healthier option that wouldn’t matter if I ate it more regularly? I happened to find this recipe on the Merrymakers website and they look pretty good although I have yet to try one.
Merrymaker Cheese and Bacon low carb bread rolls
STUFF YOU NEED
- 1 cauliflower cut into small florets then blended or grated (should be around 2½ - 3 cups)
- 3 eggs whisked
- 1 cup grated good quality cheese
- 1 tbs. chia seeds
- 1 tbs. coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder (gluten free)
- pinch of salt
- 2 rashes (slices) of bacon chopped
- 1.Extra cheese, however much you want!
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Use a food processor or blender to whiz the cauliflower, but don't turn it into mush.
- Use a tea towel to squeeze out excess liquid (super important, do not skip this step!).
- In a bowl add the cauliflower, egg, cheese, chia seeds, coconut flour, salt, baking powder and mix super well.
- It shouldn't be too soggy, if it is, add another tablespoon of coconut flour.
- Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to form 6 balls. Pop them onto the baking tray and flatten.
- Top with chopped bacon and extra cheese.
- Cook for 25 minutes, check and cook for another 5 minutes.
- And now eat!
- The trick to this delish rolls is to squeeze out the liquid in the cauliflower. Just want to remind you... AGAIN! hehe! Enjoy!